Old February 10th 04, 06:39 PM
Richard Brooks

Bill Burns wrote:
I came across an interesting reference in a history of aircraft
markings book to an apparently short lived, early war upper-wing
national marking for WW1 RAF night bombers. The reference described
it simply as a white disc used only on night bombers. This marking
was different from the white discs used on fuselage sides as a
squadron marking.
Can anyone provide any other information regarding this marking?
Was it simply a white disc? What year was it indroduced? Withdrawn?

In "Camouflage '14-18 Aircraft" by O.G. Thetford, 1943 all I've got in
reference is;

Night-Flying F.E. 2B Bombers.-When the F.E. 2B became outmoded for day
fighting it was switched on to night bombing duties, and these machines were
painted black all over and had special cockades compromising a white circle
with a black centre.

If I find anything else, I'll let you know.

Richard.

Thanks for the help,

Wm. (Bill) Burns
London, Ont.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/wmburns/

"Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it"