Old December 13th 19, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Filling small holes in panel?

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 2:58:39 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I have a good friend that has a bullet hole through his glass panel. We fixed everything else on the ship but the panel. That hole is part of the history of the ship.
UH

The glider was in the trailer. The 9 mm jacketed bullet penetrated the fiberglass lid of the Cobra trailer, passed through the upper and lower wing skins of the left wing--including the Kevlar layers--before piercing the canopy and instrument panel cover, then exited the instrument panel on the lower left side(vaporizing the battery selector switch and damaging the fuses) before traveling through the cockpit (unoccupied at the time, obviously!) and rebounding off the rear canopy frame--knocking a fist-size hole in the right rear side of the canopy before or after that--then landed harmlessly (compared to what had already occurred) in the fabric boot at the base of the control stick. All in MUCH less time than it took to read this!!

UH suggested preserving the bullet hole in the panel as part of the history. I understand the current owner might consider passing along the actual bullet to the new owner whenever he ultimately sells the glider.

Chip Bearden
JB

Thanks for that, Chip.
"Who shot JB" details I've been wondering about for a while. Amazing.
Hold my beer and watch this,
Jim