Old February 22nd 18, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 11:30:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Something that would make the CN totally Kickass would be a touch screen. To my knowledge Air Avionics is the only panel mount computer to utilize this. Has Touch Screen been considered for the CN?
Kirk

Having been present during one of the flights that actually started the ball rolling on ClearNav (i.e. attempts to poke at a touchscreen while cruising along at 110kts on a rough ridge), I can say the that the "philosophy" of CN was clearly to leverage a pointing device.

FWIW, I've also flown with Tophat on various e-readers and other android devices, and while I really like it, the touchscreen isn't optimal in some situations. In addition to the turbulence issue, I find it takes more "head down" time when a gesture goes bad. In other words, it's easier to accidently zoom or re-center. Fixing that can be tricky.

Anyway, I'm very happy that my CN uses a stick-mounted controller.

Erik Mann (P3)