Old April 28th 04, 06:39 PM
Eric Greenwell

Roger Kelly wrote:

Its a nice idea, but I think its a non-starter inside the cockpit.

I was thinking that it would be recessed in the underside of the glider,
and covered with thin material that would match the outside contour. When
it deploys it would puncture the bottom and be a big bubble on the OUTSIDE.
I don't see why it couldn't inflate at the same time as the BRS.

Perhaps a system that automatically extended and locked the landing gear
when the BRS activated would be simpler. The extended gear on modern
gliders is designed to absorb significant energy, so it, plus a well
designed cockpit, should be adequate to protect the pilot.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA