Old February 28th 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Dg400 rigging tips

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 2:56:26 PM UTC-8, Steve Cameron wrote:
Guys, I'm a new DG400 owner, and was wondering if there are any tips or suggestions that others have learned to help rigging. My ship came with an electric self rigger with remote, and the first time I used it I got the wings on with little problem. Today was a different story, not only did it take considerable time to get the wings in, but than I fought the spar pins for a while before throwing in the towel, figuring it just wasn't my day! Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve Cameron

I have a a DG-200 with short lift pins. Putting the first wing in I have to put the rear pins in first. I made a cam tool to hold the wing in place so putting in the left wing doesn't knock the right wing out. I don't think this is an issue with later models. With the first (right) wing in the spar stub is not centered but low in the opposite side opening. After putting the second wing in place, rear lift pins first again, if the mains pin holes don't line up I push or pull on the fin to twist the fuselage to change the misalignment of the holes. (my trailer has a fixed height on the cradle.) I also have a cam tool to pull the main pin holes into alignment. In the past I made and sold these tools. They are now should be available from MM Fabrication https://www.mmfabrication.com/
Hope this helps,
Steve
450+ DG-200 assemblies