Old February 6th 04, 05:49 AM
Doug Taylor

Randal Cullen wrote in message ...
I've been informed that Czech does no allow ultralight
tow planes. Are you aware if this is the case in any
other countries? We are currently considering a SAMBA
as a tow plane for our club in South Africa.

In the United States, ultralight tow planes exist, but they are only
allowed to tow ultralight gliders and only if operated with a waiver.
The regulations define and ultralight glider as any glider with an
empty weight less than 155 pounds (70 kgs.) so it is mostly for hang
gliders but there are a number of other designs that meet the rule. I
have heard of cases where ultralight tugs have pulled much heavier
things (like an ASW 20) without much trouble (Don't know where that
happened so don't ask me ). It is certainly viable if your
regulations allow it.