Old April 18th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Should I be scared -- C172 over Gross

Peter Dohm wrote:
Well said Sir. The passenger is entrusting their life in your hands.
When I take a passenger up in a glider, I understand what a huge
responsibility that is. Reminds me of the Cokehead pilot that killed
that singer Brandy? flying to the Bahamas over gross and impaired on
drugs. He might have had the same reasoning...ah just a bit over
gross, so the climb out will be sluggish....

If you're thinking of the same crash that I am, the aircraft was way, way,
way out of aft cg limits and would have killed them without regard to the
rest. And yes, there were more than enough other problems...

I used to fly in and out of that airport (Marsh Harbour, Abaco Island) several
times a year and remember the crash fairly well. The pilot's coke use wasn't a
factor although it surely didn't help. The basic problem was too much beef on
board (9 SOB on a C-402), along with a ton of other crap. The pilot tried to
talk them out of it but they pitched such a bitch he gave in. A few minutes
later they were all dead. And it was Aaliyah, not Brandy.

Ordinarily there was nothing wrong with that airport although density altitude
could always raise its ugly head. The runway was a good 5000 feet long by
either 100 or 150 feet wide and paved.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com