Old September 21st 18, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan M

Default AMS Flight and LS6 Upper Rudder Bushing

Looking at a photo I took of the bushing, assuming it has an ID of 6mm (which is probably about right), the OD is about 12mm. The center is probably offset by between 1 and 1.5mm. I'm guessing its 10mm thick, but that's just from memory. So perhaps that means the "phi 12*1*10" means 12mm OD, 10mm ID with a 1mm offset, given that the OD of the HK0609 is 10mm.

dan

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 11:39:53 AM UTC-4, Dan M wrote:
Well... That seems quite unpleasant. It was Ales who wrote back to me....

He wrote:

"Yes, we have rudder upper bushings available. Look the attached drawings..
Position 13, you have alternatives, or eccentric bushing 4R5-11 or a cylindrical MS bushing and the needle bearing?

After your answer we can answer you with an offer.
With kind regards,"

His diagram shows the part as: "Nadelhulse HK0609+MS-Buchse phi 12*1*10"

HK0609 seems to be a fairly off-the-shelf needle bearing. I have no idea what the "MS" is. Or what phi 12*1*10 means -- I presume that's some sort of dimension, but HK0609 seems to be a pretty standard part -- 6mm ID, 10mm OD, and 9mm thick.

Also, I clearly have the eccentric bushing and based on his drawings its not clear to me whether these are interchangeable. I can't imagine that switching between the two wouldn't locate the rudder in a different place.
The eccentric bushing is identified as "eccentric bushing" in the drawing and the part number 4R5-11 appears to be an internal LS part number that is NOT a generic part. Given a choice though of the two, the needle bearing seems superior to a bushing any day.

It's also unclear to me how its held in. It may actually be glued in the drawing has "Loctite" written on it, but I can't imagine either the bushing or bearing is threaded in, so maybe they just used "Loctite" as a generic word for glue/resin.

If I can just tap the old part out, buy an HK0609 and glue it in, that would be the easiest solution. Is it possible that the cylindrical needle bearing is in some sort of sleeve/bushing that adjusts its location?

dan

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 11:04:23 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I don't know if things have changed with AMS Flight, but if you do a search on RAS for "AMS Flight," you will find a lengthy thread detailing the horror stories of people who tried to deal with them. The thread is from 2010.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/ams$20flight$20unethical%7Csort:date/rec.aviation.soaring/Drd024z2MhE/5hONLQwksokJ