Old April 8th 17, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 11:39:46 AM UTC+12, John Smith wrote:
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 3:18:30 PM UTC-7, wrote:
John, feel free to email me if you need help with anything. Contact details are on Google Play store.

Personally I would like to see GlidePort.aero combine InReach/Spot traces with cell traces into a single flight trace. Users would see a single trace with as much tracking detail as available. Satellite data would replace by cell data as it is received. Much like how zooming in google earth shows a fuzzy image then fills in crisp details as they are downloaded.

The step beyond that is a hybrid system I proposed earlier. A user watching GlidePort.aero would see exactly the same thing, BUT the satellite modem would be smart enough to know it doesn't need to send data in an area with good cell coverage. That MIGHT lower satellite data costs.

Alan

Alan,

So what is needed to make the hybred system?

John

P.S. I have no marketable skills, so my value is limited to useless questions and/or suggestions.

A productized version of this http://www.rock7mobile.com/products-rockblock-9603 connected to your phone.

AND a bunch of software, both in Android(iPhone) and in the Cloud.