Old July 21st 03, 08:48 AM
Nosegear

Just go for the iPAQ/GPS combination, I never have any regrets that I
made that choice. I use an (old) iPAQ 3630 with a NavMan 3000 GPS sleeve
and PocketFMS software (http://www.pocketfms.com). BTW, the very best
software for this purpose I've been able to find, and it's shareware . .

The sleeve-type GPS will assure a minimum of wiring, and you don't have
to worry about readablilty of the screen, especially when you mount the
device in an upright position using say a RAM mount (http://www.ram-
mount.com).

Also, with properly designed software the pen interface need not be a
problem: you do the miniscule work when safely on the ground, and all
other functions are easily activated by using your finger on the touch-
screen. When you'd use PocketFMS, you can do the pre-flight part on your
home PC and transfer everything to your iPAQ when finished.

Last advantage I can think of is also a disadvantage: you do not pay for
certification of the equipment (I'm sure Garmin and others have some
percentage for that in the price), downside is that it *isn't* certified
equipment. Not a problem, as long as you don't rely on it as a sole means
of navigation. Which, BTW, goes for professional GPS's as well: you
always need to have a backup means of navigation (mostly a chart ;-)

Wisdom and flying fun!

Nosegear

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

I've been leaning towards a Garmin 196 to replace our ailing Lowrance
Airmap 300. However, now that Garmin has announced they are no longer
going to support the Garmin 90, it appears that they are no better at
support than Lowrance -- who recently "orphaned" my Airmap from all
technical support. (This occurred right before it started acting
flaky, naturally.)

So, I'm now thinking about one of these Compaq Ipaq/GPS combinations.
One of our guests at the inn gave me a 15 minute "tour" of his, and I
was fairly impressed with:

- The color screen.
- The strength of the software.
- The fact that it just doesn't sit in the plane, but is actually
useful beyond flying.

Apparent downsides we

- The screen didn't look bright enough in direct sunlight
- The "pen" interface seemed like a tough thing to handle, especially
in turbulence.
- The clutter of wires in the cockpit sounds like a mess.

What says the group? Anyone out there care to comment on the various
strengths and weaknesses? I've only got about ten days left to make
up my mind!