Old November 9th 19, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gliding risk....

“Skilled Enjoyment” I like that one Bob, and thanks for the post. At least I know someone is tracking with what I am always trying to communicate.

One of the caviats that I probably ought to restate here is that I fly low level for a living, being a duster pilot, and engage in low level turning all day long with very heavy loads and ridiculously high wing loading. So in regards to dealing with low level soaring saves, I do have a pretty big cash of experience with the nuances of low level flying. But that being said, I still very much need to keep highly sharp in my sailplane and that takes lots of “directed” practice. I never fly my 1-26 just to fly, I always have a mission in mind on every flight. Without that, a guy just ends up picking up bad habits, sloppy airmanship, and never progresses. Moffat had it right 50 years ago.
Dan