Old September 23rd 03, 08:32 PM

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:53:33 GMT, "Dan Moos"
wrote:

I hear alot that the ani-torque pedals specifically are poorly done in MSFS
2004.

You might be seeing multiple posts by me - I always complain about it
when talking about helicopters in FS 8^) .

I am a fixed wing pilot, who probably will never have the funds to justify
getting my helicopter rating, but I do fly the helicopters in MSFS for fu,
and am curious what needs changing. I found the R22 to be way squirrly in
yaw, but the rudder pedals on the Cessnas were way over the top also. Once I
set up my pedals for what felt accurate in the airplanes, I discovered that
I could handle the helicopter WAY better also.

So my question is, am I cheating? In the real R22, are the pedals as touchy
as the sim makes them without adjustment?

The main thing is that in any light helicopter (and most others as well
for that matter), you're gonna *have* to put in some increasing
anti-torque pedal as you pull collective - particularly on liftoff. In
FS, you can lift off with very little or no pedal at all. If you did
that in an R22 you'd be spinning like a top. For a very little while
that is, if you don't put in some pedal.

How about the collective and cyclic controls. Again, I have everything set
up for what seems closest in reality for the Cessnas, so every thing is a
little toned down from the out of the box settings.

The collective is OK. The cyclic is probably not sensitive enough, even
with the FS axis sensitivity set to the maximum. It is very easy to
over-control an R22 when you first get into one - or at least it was for
me after having about 85 hours in the S300.

I have to say that FS falls down completely on some other things too -
FS2004 doesn't autorotate at all (FS2002 was passable with certain
add-on aircraft) and there are some other things that it doesn't model,
like wind effects (e.g. rear quartering tailwind, which makes hovering
interesting indeed). But as I said in my previous post it's a good
introduction to flying helicopters, especially considering it's marketed
as a game.

Dave Blevins