Old September 4th 16, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default New Zealand soaring movie

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 10:38:55 AM UTC+12, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 14:56:35 -0700, Bruce Hoult wrote:

Yes, the film was made over a number of flights, and certain things were
staged for dramatic effect. Shhh!

An excellent film.

I notice that some scenes were shot at the Southland Gliding Club but it
doesn't appear in the club list on Gliding NZ, so I assume its now an ex-
club. Do you know what its current name is or where its airfield used to
be?

I think it was shot all over the place! Many of the early gliding scenes look to be along the side of the Remarkables, with Lake Wakatipu in the background and even one or two glimpses of Queenstown.

Other scenes are obviously shot at Omarama, including the interview with Ray Lynskey with the Buscott ridge and Mt Benmore in the background.

I've never flown there, but the aerotow practice and first solo look to me like Te Anau. I'm not entirely sure what strip they're using, but I think quite possibly a now defunct one he

I noticed a series of shots where Lucy's hat changed several times in the
course of a scene. Nice: it reminded me of "Plan Nine From Outer Space"
though of course Windborn's production values are somewhat better!

I believe the changes of clothing and hats are intended to artistically indicate the passing of the months :-)