Old December 20th 03, 07:10 AM
Dallas

Minimum? I'll let some one else answer that.

But make this mental note: Somehow Microsoft released FS2004 to match the
state of the art in personal computing on the very month it was released.
In other words, to be able to "max all the slider to the right" and have it
run well, would require the purchase of everything that was new at that
minute. i.e. 3 Ghz processor, PC3200 ram, and a $199.00 to $499.00 graphics
card. Many of us spent upwards of $700 to upgrade our computers for this
$50 program.

As you start to slide the settings to the left you can make it run on older
equipment. The trade off is a loss of realism in weather and out the window
detail.

That said, I'll let everyone else fill in the details.

Dallas

Oh, personal opinion: Using FS2004 as a PCATD would seem to require rudder
pedals.

"Gerald Sylvester" wrote in message
link.net...

I just got my PPL and heard from some ATP rated friends that using
MS FS 2004 could help a bit for getting down some of the navigation
techniques for IFR. I figure for $50 that is about 25 minutes in
a IFR GPS equipped plane.

What is the minimum equipment *really* required to use MS FS 2004?
Right now I have a new Dell Latitude laptop. I have a mouse
and that is about it. Joysticks? Foot pedals (cost?)? I don't want
it to replace flight since I can just get in a real plane but I have
heard from many people that it is quite good. I want
it more for the instrument training.

I have no idea about this since the last MS FS I had was back when I
had an IBM PC jr. (no joke).

replies will be directed to: rec.aviation.simulators.

Gerald Sylvester