Old September 13th 15, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring in Australia in March

Hi Gene,

Great to hear you're planning to expand your gliding horizons to include the Southern Hemisphere. I was once in your very predicament, holding US qualifications and wanting to fly in Australia. The official requirements are listed he

http://www.gfa.org.au/GFA-Ops/foreignpilots.html

I found it far more informal and friendly than the link above makes it sound. Put simply: they just want to confirm you're safe and proficient.

As your review of the OLC will confirm, there's still a lot of soaring to be done in March. Some prefer this time of year for the buoyant conditions without the high heat of mid summer. Naturally, the northern locations will be stronger than the southern.

My search lead me to the Lake Keepit Soaring Club due to:
- Full time operations, 365 days a year,
- Aerotow and winch,
- A large fleet (3xG103 for training, 1xDuo for coaching, 2x tugs, 2xPW5 for early solo and 3xSingle seaters LS7, Discus 2C & Discus 2B for advanced solo and cross country),
-Varied terrain with plenty of loundout options,
-An easy drive from Sydney or 1hr commuter flight from Sydney or Brisbane (then 40min drive from Tamworth),
-In my experience, the most welcoming club in Australia

In the interests of disclosure, I liked it so much I became a member and moved my primary gliding operations there. Though I still glide in the States annually (I live between the two).

Pics are available he

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2vm15qtc7...P6rOj3kIa?dl=0

And the club website is he

www.keepitsoaring.com

If you share a quick wit and a thick skin, the club newsletter is a must read.

Best regards,

CJ