Old July 17th 05, 04:05 PM
Roy Smith

john smith wrote:
Squawk 7600 for one minute, then switch to 7700 for the remainder of the
flight. Fly the route as NORDO to your clearance limit.

Ignoring for the moment that switching from 7600 to 7700 is the incorrect
procedure for comm failure, it sounds like you're advocating deliberately
pretending to have comm failure so you can fly the route you want.

I assume you understand 14 CFR 91.3:

-----
Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.

(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and
is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in
command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to
meet that emergency.

(c) Each pilot in command who deviates from a rule under paragraph (b) of
this section shall, upon the request of the Administrator, send a written
report of that deviation to the Administrator.
-----

Let's see how this plays out. After you land, you call up FSS to cancel
your IFR flight plan, and the guy asks you what your emergency was. You
say, "I didn't like the route they gave me, so I turned off my radios and
continued NORDO". I can only imagine how the conversation would go after
that, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a very happy experience for you.

If they want to turn you back, and you truly believe that heading in the
direction they want to send you would be unsafe due to weather, say,
"unable" and stick to it. You may get to hold until they can accomodate
you, and that may be a long time. Deciding to land at the nearest usable
airport may be your best choice if the hold time is extensive.

Did ATC do you a dis-service by giving you the clearance you wanted and
then refusing to allow you to fly it once you were in the air? Probably,
but that's life.