Old April 16th 15, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Bioenno Power LiFePO4 12V Glider Batteries

A comment on lithium batteries since I have two in my glider and a
digital volt meter mounted on the panel... I don't notice much voltage
drop as I did with lead batteries other than when I transmit. The data
available for the batteries indicates a rapid decline and shutoff when
the battery is nearly spent. I don't think that's a problem since the
shutoff voltage is around 9.6 volts and your radio will quit
transmitting before reaching that limit.

The reason I post this is because I was using a lithium powered
flashlight the other day while working on my car and, when the battery
reached it's limit, it simply shut off. It was so sudden that I thought
the bulb had burned out. No dimming as you're used to with standard
batteries. Changing the bulb had no effect so I swapped batteries with
my drill and the light worked again. Charging the battery took less than
an hour.

On 4/15/2015 11:27 PM, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I just added some new batteries to my web site tonight. They have
been highly recommended to me by several sailplane pilots.

New - Bioenno Power Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePO4 12V Glider Batteries

- Enhanced cycle life - up to 2000 charge cycles! After 2000 charge
cycles, the battery still holds 75-80% of its original capacity.
- Lower weight - less than half the weight of lead-acid batteries! If
you are accustomed to using lead-acid batteries - you will be shocked
the first time you pick-up one of these batteries.
- Constant and stable discharge voltage - Lead-acid batteries
gradually lose voltage over time as they discharge - dropping below
12V early-on. LiFePO4 batteries have a much more gradual decrease in
voltage until they are nearly fully discharged - staying at 13+V for
most of their discharge cycle - so they are able to power your
sailplane radio and instruments at higher voltages for longer periods
of time. Higher voltages assure maximum transmit power from radios and
transponders.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/bioenno.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde