Old September 28th 12, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

Default LiFePO4 batteries

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:29:19 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
TA posted about LiFePO4 batteries a while ago. Using the Tenergy 10AH batteries, I'm impressed. Lighter, longer lasting. 6 hours of ClearNav, 302, 6201 and TT21 brings two 10AH batteries "down" to 13.1V. The old SLA and AGM stuff I'd been using now seems rubbish. The Lithium Phosphate batteries even use your existing chargers. Jim

Have been using the K2 batteries for two years now and can say only good things about them. It may be noteworthy that K2 has now a 10Ah version out which has the same frame like the typical 7.5Ah SLA batteries.
Yes, these batteries will become unstable and can blow up - if you expose them to 400F for a long time - in which case you may have a far greater problem on your hands than worrying about your plane or battery! ;-)
GM