Old January 22nd 04, 03:03 AM

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:

Interesting. What happens to the leftover carbon & sulphur?

I wondered that myself. They said the carbon is in the form of CO2 and CO, so I
expect that that's just exhausted. Perhaps the sulphur is SO2 and also exhausted.
We can hope not, but, if so, it's no worse than what's exhausted when the fuel s
burned.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

True, but at least you get the energy out of your engine when you burn the
carbon and the sulphur.

Makes one wonder what the overall efficiency is versus just burning the
diesel.

One problem with hydrogen engines no one seems to want to talk about is the
fact that hydrogen burns hot. If you get your oxygen from the atmosphere,
there is also a lot of nitrogen in there. Hot engines and nitrogen produce
oxides of nitrogen which are a major constiuent of smog.

There seems to be a big fly in the ointment for all the wonderous alternative
energy sources:

Alcohol: takes more energy to produce a gallon than you get out of burning
a gallon.

Wind: gets you sued into the ground as in Altamont Pass and most of England
for killing tweety.

Geothermal: clogs up the pipes with all the nasty crap that comes out and
takes heroic efforts to keep that junk out of the atmosphere.

Nuclear: where do I begin to enumerate the technical and social problems
with nuclear plants?

Solar: expensive and cloud cover, what cloud cover?

Where is Scotty and a batch of dilithium crystals when we really need
them?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.