Old November 11th 04, 04:35 PM
Jay Honeck

: I very much enjoy having DME in the plane in addition to my yoke-mount
: Garmin 295. It is helpful for identifying intersections during IFR
: enroute, and is a nice to have (if not a requirement) for many
: approaches.

Seconded. I like having my DME, my IFR GPS, and my 295. The DME is very
easy to interpret (OK, I'm 12.6 from PVD, so I'm well clear of their 'C').
The 'B' airspace around me is derived off the BOS vortac, so it's helpful
there as well. I usually use the IFR GPS for point-to-point navigation
while
keeping the DME tuned to navaids off to the side such as the BOS vortac I
mentioned, helps to stay out of their airspace.

I know we all have our preferences, but DME seems to me to have been made
completely outmoded by the advent of moving map GPS.

My AvMap graphically depicts Class B airspace in a way that is so easily
understood, it would be virtually impossible to "bust" it without realizing
what you were doing. The DME would only confirm -- in a far less useful
format -- what the GPS is already telling me.

That, and the fact that I have no intention of getting my IFR ticket in the
near future, makes my Narco DME little more useful than a door stop in
Atlas. I *do* turn it on once in a while, just to see if it still powers
up -- but that's about it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA