Old October 5th 15, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Auto-towing? Cost...about $1.50 per tow? Why is this launchingtechnique not more popular?

In my experience, the /_opinion_/ of most people is that ground launch
requires many more people than aero tow. In my personal /_experience_/
(auto tow safari), it only /_requires _/two people - the pilot and the
driver. Of course more people can streamline the process, but we were
there for the fun of it and not to train several pilots. We either
asked an airport person to hold a wing tip for launch or we went with
the wing down or started with a wing stand under the wing tip. The
driver had a hand held radio and a really big knife and we were
successful every time.

Yes, I know that sh!t happens but, to me at least, that's part of the
fun and we were two experienced people. ...Pardon me now while I button
up my flame suit. :-P BTW, it's a 600' overcast day at Moriarty; the
third in a row.

On 10/4/2015 10:43 PM, Sean Fidler wrote:
Had a conversation with a pal on this recently. It seems academic. When cost is considered, it has to be even more affordable than winching.

Why is this not a mainstream method of getting gliders airborne?

Interested in learning what you know, your thoughts and opinions.

Sean
7T

--
Dan, 5J