View Single Post
Old June 1st 17, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default ASW-15 Spoiler Adjustment

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 8:46:52 PM UTC-4, Phil Chidekel wrote:
Anyone have any experience tackling asymmetric dive-brakes on an ASW-15? The left side sticks up about 30mm more than the right side, and a mechanic and I spent the day fiddling with the adjustments (to no avail). We wrote Schleicher for the drawings, but does anyone have any insight?

Thanks.

Phil Chidekel

I have used the following process with good results:
1- With wings off, check that airbrakes close and lock correctly. When they go over center you will hear and feel a bit of a snap.
2- check for any binds or signs of interference that affect smooth operation. Also look for bad bearings or bent push rods.
3- Inspect the mechanism in the fuselage to verify that the two operating bell cranks for the brakes appear to be moving the same. Also verify that the mountings for these cranks are secure.
4- Assemble the glider.
5- Connect one airbrake push rod and lock brakes. Mark the position of the handle in the cockpit when it goes over center in the wing.
6- Disconnect first wing and repeat for second wing. This should give an indication which push rod needs adjusting. Lengthening make locking sooner. Depending upon handle position, shortening the rod on the brake that closes sooner may be the right action.
7 From recollection I believe both are supposed to lock within about 5mm.
Good hunting
UH