Old August 14th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stache

Default Wire Strike Info

Hello Rocky,

Stache here, I used to work on HH-60 Pave hawk helicopters for the 33rd
Rescue Squadron in Okinawa in the mid 90's. We had a helicopter on
duty in Korea, which struck a 6-inch wire stretched across a valley.
The helicopter had cable cutters installed, but at the speed and
diameter of cable it split the aircraft in half. Needless to say no
one survived.

It seems the cable was installed the day before and was not on any
charts or was the unit notified the cable was up. The Air Force did
not release much information about the accident.