Old November 29th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

Default Instrument Check Ride - What navigation equipment can I use ?

"Roy N5804F" wrote:
Recently I installed in the Archer a complete new Garmin left stack
including the GNS530.
I kept one of the old KX170B's [repositioned] and its glideslope indicator
so that I have dual ILS & VOR systems.

Sounds like a good plan.

Now comes my question, what will I be allowed to use on my instrument
checkride?

The rules allow the examiner to ask you to demonstrate that you can use
anything that's in the airplane. You should be prepared to fly everything
in the PTS both with and without the A/P. You should be prepared to fly
everything that's possible to fly with the GPS turned off.

I am assuming that the examiner will want the 530 switched off at some stage
for at least one ILS approach, while using the KX170B + GS Indicator ?

You didn't mention a marker beacon receiver, but I assume you've got one of
those (they're often built into audio panels). The KX-170 and a marker
beacon receiver should be enough to enable you to fly an ILS (certainly if
you're vectored to final).

Be prepared to answer questions about when your GPS can legally substitute
for other navaids (such as DME or ADF). Many ILSs have notes like "ADF
required". Your 530 can substitute for the ADF on an ILS, but if the 530
is failed, you can't fly legally fly an "ADF Required" ILS with just the
KX-170.

Understand what PIC emergency authority allows you to do. A reasonable
answer to "can we legally fly this [AFD-required ILS] approach with just
the KX-170?" might be something like, "No, except in an emergency. As a
practical matter, the ADF is only needed for the missed. In an emergency,
I would just ask the controller for alternate missed instructions before I
began the approach".

If he asks you to fly an ILS with both radios working, he will expect you
to dial the localizer freq into the KX-170 as a backup and monitor both
CDIs during the approach.

If I was giving you a checkride with the set of equipment you described, I
would ask you to fly:

1) An ILS with everything working, vectors to final, hand-flown.

2) A GPS approach with everything working, autopilot, full approach.

3) A partial-panel (i.e. DG and AI failed) VOR approach with just the two
VOR receivers (i.e. the NAV portion of the 530 and the KX-170), hand flown,
full approach.

Somewhere over the course of the checkride, I would want you to demonstrate
to me a couple of different A/P modes (i.e. roll steering engaged or
disengaged, heading only mode, nav mode, etc) to make sure you understand
how they all work. Once I was convinced you understood how the box worked,
I would probably have you disengage it for most of the rest of the
checkride. I would expect you to demonstrate to me that you understand its
various failure modes and can recover from some of them. I would expect to
see you running the pre-flight A/P checks per the checklist.