Old July 12th 03, 02:26 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Bill Shatzer" wrote in message

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Keith Willshaw wrote:

-snips-

There are lots of He-111's in museums but an aircraft in a museum
isnt an aircraft anymore, its the preserved corpse of one. Only in
the sky can you really appreciate what it was built for.

Bygawd, let's tear down the Wright Flyer from the ceiling of the
Smithsonian and let that baby FLY again! It's jest a "preserved
corpse" while hanging there from the ceiling.

I seem to recall the Smithsonian is sitting on the Enola Gay and
the Winnie Mae as well. Return 'em to the air!

If there was more than one of each I might agree with that,
indeed I seem to recall that there's at least one B-29 flying
with the CAF

If we lose one or two or more of 'em along the way, well, bygawd, at least
they won't be "preserved corpses"!

In some cases all you can have is the preserved corpse, which is
second best to be sure. The Shuttleworth Collection however
manages to conserve and fly both genuine and replica aircraft
of the WW1 period including a 1909 Bleriot XI , a 1910 Deperdussin
and a Bristol Boxkite replica

These aircraft only fly in perfect conditions but fly they do and
more genuinely evoke the era than any dusty piece in a museum.

Keith