Old December 3rd 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

Default visualisation of the lift distribution over a wing

Alan Baker wrote:

I have never noticed the fabric lifting on my wings, however I have
seen the fuel siphon out of a wing tank due to an improperly applied
fuel cap.
And greater pressure in the tank than outside of it...

/snip/
So, yes, the greater pressure inside the tank is pushing the fuel out.

Hmmm...it probably goes more like this: there's a 100 mph? wind past an
open port, with some venturi effect certainly, but plenty of
turbulence. If you beat up the surface with a gusty blow, it gets
wavelets which can lap the filler and blow out the fuel.

How about it? It still doesn't change the physical reality that air
doesn't *pull* on the wings.

You're still singing the last hymn, Alan.

We are now discussing how an open tank, with a 100 mph wind blowing over
its top, can lose its fuel over the top. Do you think the tank has
GREATER pressure due to the venturi effect of the airflow?

Brian W