Old June 15th 04, 06:32 AM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, fred D wrote:

Bought a built experimental powered glider and All I have is a bill of
sale from an individual who is not the builder and does not know who
he was. No data plate, plans or other documentation with kit number.
Is there anyway to satisfy the FAA's chain of ownership requirements ?
It only needs a sprucing up and some minor repairs to be flyable.

Start with Jim Pratt's page:

http://www.provide.net/~pratt1/ambuilt/faqhmblt.htm

and also Ron Wanttaja's RAH page with FAQ:

http://www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/

In order to get a special airworthiness certificate to operate your
new toy as an amateur-built experimental, you'll need to demonstrate
that its construction conforms to good workmanship practices, and that
the major portion of it was built for entertainment and education.

If it turns out that you can't demonstrate the "major portion" bit,
you still stand a good chance of obtaining a special airworthiness
certificate to operate it as an experimental, racing or exhibition
aircraft, as all ASW-20s and Zunis in the US operate. I don't see many
of them languishing as lawn ornaments.

Either way, you need to find out which FAA FSDO handles your area, and
who at the FSDO handles experimental aircraft. Find that person and
talk to them. They'll probably have a packet of the usual paperwork
for you.

You'll need to get it inspected by someone at the FAA or, if they're
too busy, a DAR (designated airworthiness representative?)

Also, if you have any clue who sold the plans or the kit (if there was
one), do what you can to contact them. In at least some cases there is
someone with the original files and copies of the original kit bill of
sale.

The EAA has technical counselors and others who can offer advice; if
you're not an EAA member you proabably should be. Also, I can
recommend the Sailplane Homebuilders Association and also the HomeSail
forum on YahooGroups. There are many members who have been through the
process.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com