Old August 15th 03, 06:51 AM
Martin Hellman

"Terry Ladouceur" wrote in message . ..
I know that the Rotax 912 is to be run on Mogas but I have heard that there
is a gasoline additive you can purchase that will help reduce the lead build
up when being used in a Rotax 912 Engine. Does anyone on this list know what
this additive is called? Have you used it and what kind of results did you
have? Any negative impact on your engine? Thanks.

A bigger issue may be the impact of Mogas and any possible additives
like TCP on your fuel system. I have fiberglass tanks that are coated
with a 3M slosh compound that dissolves (and gums your carburetors) if
there's any alcohol in the fuel. I know alcohol is a no-no in aviation
fuel anyway, but other owners - even those who checked pretty
carefully - sometimes got alcohol and gummed carbs. Not to mention who
knows what damage to the fuel tanks. There have been other incidents
as well where there is evidence that anything other than 100LL (which
the factory tested extensively on the entire fuel system) may be
causing problems. I'd love to use unleaded fuel and make my engine
last longer, but have decided to stick with 100LL for the above
reasons. Some other owners have opted for Mogas, so it's not like my
decision is clearly the right one. But I thought it was worth
mentioning the issue of fuel system damage.

Good flying to you all,
Martin