Old August 14th 04, 03:05 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 8/13/04 3:03 PM, in article
, "Andrew Gideon"
wrote:

Wizard of Draws wrote:

We're not quite sure what the problem was with the gear. With all the
glitches just getting airborne, I was a bit apprehensive as I descended
into the pattern at RHP. But there wasn't any problem after that first
takeoff. It did feel a bit odd each time they came down, with the airplane
wanting to yaw right a tad. Perhaps they were coming down asymetrically? I
let the owner know when I got back and he's checking it out.

Hmm. I've only just recently started to fly a retract. But if I failed to
get the gear up as normal, I'm pretty sure I'd just land again and cancel
the flight. The 182RG POH has an emergency retract procedure, but if the
gear is already down and there's a nice runway right there...

Of course, one variable in my equation is that the 182RG has no backup in
case of a complete hydraulic loss. Lose all fluid, and you're going to
scratch the belly.

From what I understand, this lack is somewhat unusual.

- Andrew

This plane has had a few incidents of balky gear ups and one of them was
with me, so it wasn't something I was really worried about at the time. I
have over 100 hours in this plane and think I have a pretty good feel for it
by now.

The gear _not coming down_ is another story completely. In any case, if
there had been any problem with the gear later, I was topped off and had
plenty of time and fuel to get home again.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic