Old September 7th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:

More generally, I can't help but notice that OLC has become a much worse
place since SSA got involved. It started with a huge ugly STATIONARY banner
on top of SSA-OLC page that serves no good purpose but to generate
advertisement income for SSA at the expense of users' screen space.

Maybe it depends on your screen size: I didn't even notice it was
stationary and I don't think it's ugly. No problem here (19" monitor).

Now this policing of the traces. OLC used to be an extremely valuable tool
for sharing and learning. I used to rave about it and promote it to all my
soaring friends. Still, I estimate that only about one-third of the pilots I
know post their flights. Which is a pity, because those who do NOT post tend
to be the more experienced and wiser pilots. See any connection?

No, I don't. This SSA "policing problem" you mention didn't exist until
recently, so that couldn't be the reason those pilots didn't post. And,
it doesn't seem to be the case in Region 8 (experienced and wiser pilots
not posting): our most prolific posters are also our most experienced
pilots, though a few good pilots don't post their flights.

You can count the "stages" in the "process", but I do not see how you can
count on the last one being acceptance. Many did not accept OLC to begin
with and still fewer will if the current trends with SSA-OLC continue. The
rate of participation will be further diminishing, as will be the value of
the OLC to the rest of us. Pity.

If the people posting flights that appear to have illegal operations in
them decide to stop posting to the OLC, is that bad? Most of the flights
posted don't exceed 18,000', don't enter restricted airspace, and don't
fly after sunset, so maybe these restrictions won't deter most pilots.

Personally, I find participating in the OLC makes me a little more
cautious close to 18,000', a little more diligent near restricted
airspace, and bit more conservative when I get low. And that's not a bad
thing.

--
Note: email address new as of 9/4/2006

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org