Old August 7th 03, 05:06 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: P-47/51 deflection shots into the belly of the German
tanks,reality
From: Ed Rasimus
Date: 8/7/03 8:11 AM Pacific

No point watching flak. There is nothing you can do about it, Watch the
target, there is a lot you can do about that. Never forget why you are

flying
the mission in the first place. And it is not to look at flak..Flak is

always
there no matter what. Now forget it and get on with the job.

Well, yes and no. If you watch the flak, you can tell whether you're
dealing with aimed or barrage fire. You can tell the general caliber
of the guns and so estimate the effective range and threat.

The post I was responding to was one about strafing where the poster accused
the pilots of watching the flack instead of the ground targets and as a reult
shooting poorly.. But for purposes of evasive action, you are of course
correct. See my website and the story "Flak, Evasive Action and the Dangerous
Games We Played." But of course that is stuff you are all too well aware of.

And, as for "wars that came later" you might want to consider Desert
Storm and Iraqi Freedom as victories in your list.

I was talking about wars in which we faced powerful determined enemies where
the outcome was not predictable before the war even began.

Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer