Old March 1st 04, 06:22 AM
Leadfoot

"callsignzippo" wrote in message
om...
you may recall before the age of sat links, uplink, downlink repeaters
etc. If you care to respond I would be interested in wx conditions
and location at the time.

I was in the Williams AFB (30M SE Phoenix AZ) WX shack working on a DL-19W
Fax machine when the Det commander told me he was talking to a T-38 40K over
Blythe CA. About 165 miles, a little static but clear. Freq 344.6MHZ Single
channel GRT-22 with 50W power amp, standard mil UHF umbrella antenna on a 40
foot tower call it 1978 or thereabouts. I don't think the ARC-164 had been
installed at that time on the T-38's. I don't recall WX conditions

I doubt this will be a record as I had a Captain who was RIF'D back to TSGT
as a Radio shop supervisor who said the NSA UHF antennas in Pakistan were
picking up US Fighter missions over Vietnam. Claimed they were blabbing
loads of classified information but that trying to get scramblers to work on
fighter at that time was next to impossible.

Thanks
Rico