Old May 16th 05, 04:22 PM
Jim Burns

Default EAA Hops and Props - OSH

Well, we survived. Didn't get drunk. Didn't fly any airplanes after our
beer. Didn't crash our car on the way home. Only a data point of 1, but
maybe pilots really can get close to airplanes while drinking alcohol
without becoming statistics!

Saturday evening my wife and I attended the EAA Hops and Props Fundraiser at
the EAA Museum at OSH.

24 breweries with over 100 different beers to offer. Great music provided
by some good local bands, the best being Pandora's Groove, awesome steel
drum band.

The beer, as expected, ranged from some very good examples of local
brewmasters finest to some absolutely awful bath tub brews not meant for
human consumption. My wife and I both quickly learned that we are NOT fans
of the ales, always favoring the more full flavored lagers and occasionally
imbibing in a stout.

The brewmasters and representatives were courteous, informative, and
helpful, often heard referring attendees to their competition in an attempt
to please the typical "non-connoisseur", and we heard several people asking
for the Budweiser or Miller table.

The best part of the event was the ability to roam the entire EAA Museum,
beer in hand, reviewing the great planes and displays while also snacking on
the hordevours placed liberally about the museum. As the evening wore on,
the Young Eagle display took on a playground appearance to several "hoppy
and happy" attendees who amused themselves and others with the educational
hands on displays. The infra-red camera and wide screen display was
surprisingly popular with the ladies. The only thing that was off limits,
for obvious reasons, was the full motion simulator ride.

All in all a pretty fun night. Would I do it again? Probably.

Jim