Old September 25th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default Shorter Competitions

Ron's note sparks a thought related to another thread on the decline
or ascent of competition soaring in the US. I can say with great
certainty that, if you measure participation to include SSA Sanctioned
Nationals and Regionals plus formal (though non-sanctioned) Local/
Regional contests, participation in the eastern PA/NJ area is up from
when I first got into the sport 20 years ago. I know that the BGA
Ladder in the UK is hugely successful as well. So, the right
question to ask may be "Is it time to revisit what we mean by
sailplane racing in the context of new tasking options, new
technologies, and new ways of connecting people?"

P3

Noel,

Our club CISS ( Central Indiana Soaring Society ) has a contest that
runs all season long . So far this year we have flown 12 contest days
( and I know of 2 more from last week end yet to be scored ) .
Basically any good soaring day at the field allows interested pilots
to compete with each other on a handicap basis . Rules are minimum and
it's extremely popular . I would *venture to say that we fly more
contest days at our club than any other in the lower forty eight !
For details check out our website at *www.centralindianasoaringsociety.org
Ron (ZA)- Hide quoted text -