Old November 12th 05, 04:44 AM
John A. Landry

Default Gyroplanes - WAS: Groen Bros. DARPA Award

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:43:01 GMT, in rec.aviation.rotorcraft, boB said:

I was at Ft Riley KS 82-85 then 2nd ACR in Germany through 1988

I went right to Fort Lewis, WA after graduating from flight school in 1982,
and left the Army from there in 1987.

I've flown OH-58's across this county several times so a slow cruising
gyro is ok with me.

Cool! I flew 58's also in an AHB (Attack Helicopter Battalion) at Fort Lewis
before I snagged a medevac job for four years (in Huey's). Both were lots of
fun (loved the early NVG's flying Scouts), but I think I liked the medevac
better... more action.

My gyro cruises most comfortably at about 50-55 mph (in terms of smooth
handling and lower wind pressure on me), which is also about the max range
airspeed. When I'm in a hurry I'll fly around at 65 mph, but fuel economy
suffers. About 45 mph is the max endurance and best rate of climb airspeed.
70-75 mph is the max level flight speed at sea level and full power. Minimum
level flight speed is about 10-12 mph. Typical climb rate is 750 fpm at sea
level on a cool day and 500 fpm at sea level on a hot day. The highest I've
had it was 8000' msl, and at that point the climb rate had deteriorated to 100
fpm.

It burns about 4.0 to 4.5 gph average on a typical flight at 50-55 mph. At
full power, fuel consumption jumps up around 6-7 gph. My gyro has a 10 gallon
fuel tank, so if I'm conservative with the power settings, I can just fly for
2 hours with a reserve.

I want the enclosed cockpit and ability to travel cross country, albeit slowly.

I live in Washington state, and sometimes I do wish I had a cockpit during the
long winters up here. But it's kinda funny... when the weather is nice, I've
gotten to where I much prefer being out in the open with the unrestricted
view! My hanger partner has an RAF-2000 gyro, and when I fly in that, I don't
like the way the cockpit blocks some of my view. I guess we all grow
accustomed to what we do the most... creatures of habit and all that.

Anyway, my next gyro will likely be a fully enclosed 2-place tractor
configuration.

Thanks again....

My pleasure.

John L.