Old August 30th 03, 12:13 PM
Gooneybird

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
A department official who had read the report, speaking on condition of
anonymity, said the survey done this year showed that 109 of the 579
female cadets surveyed, or 18.8 percent, said they had been sexually
assaulted in their time at the academy. Sexual assault was defined as
anything from unwanted touching to rape.

First let me say I am no fan of the USAFA. I believe as a money saving venture
it should be closed down. However this rape thing has gotten out of control.

If
you go to University of Maryland or University of Southern California (just

two
random schools) and survey females there you'll get a rate of at least 18.8%,
especialy when you say "unwanted touching" is rape.

Lou Dobbs did a piece on that last night, and I can't remember which institution
he mentioned other than it was an Eastern one, but he cited a comparable survey
where the numbers were about 8%.

What bothers me about the whole mess is that the male cadets haven't apparently
gotten the message that keeping their zippers up and their hands to themselves
was a reflection of the amount of self-discipline they had, i.e. - doing what
you have to do even if you don't want to do it, or vice versa, and that failures
in that line might well have a negative effect on our willingness to entrust our
valuable and expensive aircraft as well as our national security to people who
are that undisciplined.

Are my expectations in that regard unreasonable? I don't know.

BTW, Dobbs also reported that similar surveys were being initiated at the USMA
and the USNA.

George Z.