Old September 12th 16, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Need an appraiser for a donated L33 Solo

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 10:36:42 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 4:00:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The Texas Soaring Association just had the family of a deceased glider pilot donate an L33 Solo and trailer to the club. However, there are no logbooks, which apparently the family tossed after death without knowing their importance. We need to get an appraisal for purposes of the IRS donation form 8283. Anyone have any thoughts on who we could contact who might be able and willing to sign off on the appraisal form after appropriate due diligence?

Phil Umphres

Without the logbooks the value of the glider is the sum of the scrap parts (wings, fuselage, avionics, etc.), maybe.

Tom

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/qu...rcraft-is-lost and another link in this article are informative..

It depends. If there were a were a series of owners, it may be difficult to reconstruct the logbooks. If a single owner who used the same inspection and maintenance person or facility, it would be much easier to show that all required maintenance and AD's were complied with. Yes, it may diminish the value some, but not to scrap value.

We had a cause of missing logbooks on an estate glider here in Colorado a few years ago that I believe was resolved to the satisfaction of the buyer, but don't know the final details.

Frank