Old November 13th 18, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 4:10:07 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
...On days without cross winds, just carry enough power to keep
the chute inflated until it lands.

I've never driven the winch, but I've sat in the cab and watched an international cadre of winching masters practice their art. At the two sites that I've done winch launches, operations continued in significant crosswind. Crosswinds seem to be less of a no-go with modern winches.

Additional factors make landing the parachute right in front of the winch challenging for even expert winch operators: 1)2000 foot launches means more time to drift 2)less experienced pilots (like me) that insufficiently compensate for the crosswind (by flying the launch to the upwind side of the field).