Old September 5th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Brett I. Holcomb

Default Flight Sim Jerky Video

Are you running the monitor at it's native resolution? If not that normally
affects the look but maybe it's an issue here.

Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Merrill P. L. Worthington" wrote in message

[...]
The native resolution of the first LCD monitor was 1280x1024, the second
is 1400x1050. FS2004 ran OK at that resolution with the motherboard
video chipset (nVidia GeForce 6150) at 1280x1024.

Are you suggesting that the problem should be addressed by a separate
video card with a better chipset?

Thank you for the clarification.

Yes, it's possible (though not certain) that a graphic card upgrade will
help or eliminate the problem. You did increase the display resolution
on the video card to match the monitor, I assume, which reduces frame
rate and would cause momentary reductions in frame rate to be more
noticeable.

The increase in resolution was slight though, while it sounds from your
post as though the change in performance was more dramatic, so I do
wonder if at the same time the pixel depth was changed as well (for
example, from 16 to
32 bits per pixel). Or even some other graphical settings in MSFS
(higher quality, for example).

No changes except for resolution.

All that said, there are no guarantees. The rest of the system *seems*
fast enough, but if you have a bottleneck somewhere other than the video
adapter itself, putting a new one in might not help, or might not help
enough to eliminate the problem you're seeing.

IMHO, the first thing to do is go back to the previous resolution you
were doing and make absolutely certain that the problem is tied to the
resolution. But as long as you've determined that for sure, I'd say
upgrading the video would be worth a try (hopefully you have a
motherboard
with a PCIx slot, so you can use one of the most recent cards). *Most*
of the time, if a problem is tied directly to the resolution being used,
the video card *is* the bottleneck, and upgrading *will* help.

Subsequent to the earlier post, I change to a lower resolution and the
jerkiness stopped. When I changed back to the higher resolution, I
noticed the worst problems when clouds were present in the display.
That leads me to believe that there may also be issues with CPU
performance though with a A64-3800+, I'd be a little surprised if I were
CPU bound.

One could write a whole book on all the various issues that actually
exist,
but the above generalizations apply most of the time. This newsgroup is
really beyond the scope of anything more in-depth anyway.

Capiche.

--
Brett I. Holcomb

Remove R777 to email