Old January 24th 17, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Default Aerobatic Two Seat Gliders?

The Twin Astir is according to the FM approved for simple aerobatics only
(loops, stall turn, lazy 8, chandelle, spin).

t 20:44 23 January 2017, wrote:
"Service Bulletin SA-003 prohibits aerobatics in Schweizer gliders
overridi=
ng the POH (answering the question about an SGS-2-32)."

Actually, legally it doesn't. A service bulletin or note or advisory

about
=
an aircraft cannot override the approved flight manual or type

certificate
=
of an aircraft operated under the aegis of the FAA (Unless it was an

alert
=
service bulletin issued in order to get information out quickly while an
AD=
is being processed - it wasn't an alert service bulletin). For it to be
le=
gally binding they would have to get an airworthiness directive issued.
The=
y did not do this. Not to long ago one of the engine manufacturers tried
th=
is sort of tactic and got in a bit of trouble. Whether its a good idea to
d=
o aerobatics in a 2-32 being flown in the utility category is a different
m=
atter and one I don't have an opinion on seeing as how I've never flown
one=
or worked on one.

You can get a Grob Twin Astir or Twin II for a reasonable amount of money
b=
ut unless you can find a Twin II Acro which has had the rear fuselage
stren=
gthening modification you won't have a glider approved for inverted

flight
=
or slow rolls.