Old September 28th 17, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 9:50:41 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 9/26/2017 5:20 PM:
That said, the FAA is making it less likely the clue will be provided with the ADSB program. I have mode C + Flarm now. To move to ADSB 2020 will cost $4k. (1800 for the transponder + $1800 for the GPS + install)

$1800 for the GPS seems unrealistic, given I can make the Dynon Skyview with trig
transponder in my Phoenix 2020 compliant for only $500 for the GPS.

Eric

I think the cost estimates here are reasonable if the glider is certified, if experimental its going to be less. And the category is not made clear.

If the glider is certified, the only GPS he can practically use to meet 2020 carriage requirements with a TT22 transponder is the Trig TN70 which is ~$2,000 with wiring harness, plus the cost of antenna, plus installation. Plus a TT-22 which is $2000-$2,200 plus installation.

If you are looking at the Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna it is a "meet performance requirement of TSO-C145" device, not actually TSO-C145 and cannot be used in a certified aircraft. Your Phoenix is light-sports and does not need to use TSO'ed avionics, so you are fine. On the evolutionary ladder it offers benefits between the TN72 (TSO-C199, but not "meets TSO-C145") and TN70 (full actual TSO-C145). I am not sure but that Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna may not work with standard trig TT22 transponders. If it did then I'd be more tempted to use that than the TN72 TABS GPS because the Dynon SV-GPS-2020 would provide 2020 ADS-B Out compliance if gliders ever lost the ADS-B Out exception. Whereas with todays lack of any regulations about TABS the TN72 would not.... (that is just messed up, as I've already mentioned in this thread).

The Trig TN72 is currently priced at ~$350+$300 antenna, a bit above the Dynon GPS 9with integral antenna) at $590.

it may be the low aggressive price (for a meets TSO-C145 devices) on the Dynon SV-GPS-2020 may in part be because Dynon wanted to provide users of the previous generation similar GPS receivers a low-cost upgrade path since the FAA changes with ADS-B compatibility in 2016 affected those older GPS receiver based systems (they would no longer trigger ADS-B ground services). Either way it's a great price and I hope we can hear how it goes for you if you install in your Phoenix.