Old March 31st 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

son_of_flubber wrote on 3/28/2018 5:35 AM:
On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 7:09:06 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Mental and physical performance reduction does occur above a heart rate of @145 when that heart rate is stress induced.

I have a hard time believing that 145 bpm is a constant threshold across all ages and fitness levels. Does anyone know of a peer reviewed citation for that magic number? (Facebook and infowars.com do not count as legit 'research'.)

How many 75+ year old hearts can even beat at 145+ bpm? Does the 145 bpm rule make older glider pilots immune from stress induced skill degradation? I think not.

I'm sure the 145 doesn't apply to everyone! The 145 number is for 75 year olds, is
based on a simple formula, and is only an estimate used to choose a safe heart
rate limits during exercise. It's strictly age-based and the actual safe number
will differ greatly within that age group.

Any 75 year old with above average fitness can reach that heart rate easily just
by running for a few minutes, jumping jacks, etc. I'm 75, modestly fit, and 30
seconds of jumping jacks gets me up to 135 bpm; I'd expect a full minute would
get me to 145. No tunnel vision...