Old April 18th 19, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ProfJ

Default Undershoot Vs. Overshoot airport landing accidents

On Wednesday, 17 April 2019 09:28:44 UTC-6, wrote:
I always assumed that there are more overshoot airport accidents than undershoot ones. That is mainly due to our general knowledge that it's better to be too high than not high enough.
Am I correct here ?
Dan

Some good take-homes here that are generally true:

1. You are more likely to err and land short on airport landings.
2. You are more likely to err and land long or with too much energy on outlandings.
3. You can dump more energy with drag at high speed BUT...
4. This is very glider-dependent (i.t.o. your state at the threshold of runway)
5. Lengthening your glide path safely is easy BUT...
6. Not that easy to practice, depends on your home site.