Old November 25th 03, 05:19 PM
Maule Driver

How about the Maule - I have a '95 MX7180a. Simple, newer, cheaper

We use it to haul 2 and anything we want. Can take 4 adults plus bags and
2/3rd fuel. 1,000 lb useful, 180 horses is a cost/ performance sweet spot.
Fixed prop is cheap and easy. 114knot cruise with our normal load and full
power. I plan and get 110 with it backed off 100rpms. 10gph first hour
9gph afterwards. Can easily get 8gph but why.

Why a tail dragger? There is no good reason other than 'something to do' in
this pilot's opinion. I love it but have no illusions. Maule is 'more
different' than most ramp visitors. Nice to standout from the Cessna/Piper
crowd.

I'd love more and bigger but can't justify the price. CS prop, bigger
engine, bigger body Maule would all be good but...

Minuses might include fabric and paint quality. You need a hangar. Butt
dragging will cost you in insurance - much at first, less later if you are
new to it.

Cessna 180s and 185s seem great but older stuff is well, older, and clean
newer stuff is expensive - especially the 185s. Will cost more to operate
in any case. Will maintain value until they belly up.

"Jim" wrote in message
What's your opinion about the best taildragger that has room for at least

2
adults plus kids? Reasons and experiences please.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply