Old January 16th 05, 11:35 PM
ShawnD2112

Thanks, Robert. I was concious of the stall angle while on the ground, and
the Tcraft I've tried it in isn't stalled on the ground. To me it seemed
like an exercise in controlling the sink rate and attitude with power,
definitely holding it behind the power curve. I think I'm just gonna have
to think about it a bit more and try it out a lot more!

Shawn

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

ShawnD2112 wrote:
Got a question for you taildragger old-timers.

I've often thought about attitude and altitude control with power and

elevator in various combinations and have wondered if it's possible

to get a
taildragger to literally drag it's tailwheel on the runway with the

mains
off, and do it intentionally, kind of like slowflight but REALLY low

over
the runway. I mean, we often try to land tailwheel first, so I was
wondering if it's possible to set up to do it partially and prevent

the
mains from touching. I've tried in the Tcraft but can't seem to

manage it.

Anyone here ever done such a thing?

It really depends on the plane. You would never be able to get a
taildragger such a Swift to do that, and an Aeronca wouldn't do it for
long. However, a Citabria would do it very easily, a C140 would be
someone easy to do it to. The attitude a tailwheel touches down in is
RARELY the stall attitude. Some tailwheels stall before the 3pt
attitude, some are no where near stall (Citabria).

-Robert CFI