Old January 17th 05, 07:06 AM
Stealth Pilot

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:16:01 GMT, "ShawnD2112"
wrote:

Got a question for you taildragger old-timers.

I've often thought about attitude and altitude control with power and
elevator in various combinations and have wondered if it's possible to get a
taildragger to literally drag it's tailwheel on the runway with the mains
off, and do it intentionally, kind of like slowflight but REALLY low over
the runway. I mean, we often try to land tailwheel first, so I was
wondering if it's possible to set up to do it partially and prevent the
mains from touching. I've tried in the Tcraft but can't seem to manage it.

Anyone here ever done such a thing?

Shawn

I have done it once in the W8 tailwind, 2 stages of flap. used it in a
crosswind situation that was going to guano and drove the tail where I
needed it with the tailwheel. the tailwheel first contact was
accidental.

as for practising this. this is dumb. you are achieving nothing
useful. know that it is possible and make use of it if you are ever in
the situation but go and practise normal three point landings until
you can do them gently with the windsock horizontal in any direction.
that will make you a skilled pilot.

Stealth Pilot