View Single Post
Old June 18th 13, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Fastest way home?

On Monday, June 17, 2013 11:32:22 AM UTC-7, JJ Sinclair wrote:
The last day at Montague was spectacular, probably the best soaring day I have ever seen! After flying 7 assigned turn-points in an 8-turn (3hr) MAT, I was 45 miles out with 3500' over MC-3 glide home and the SN-10 said I would be 4 minutes over the 3 hr minimum time. My stats page told me I was doing 70 mph so far after cruising 80 knots all day long.

Question: Is it faster to raise the MC to 4 or 5 and come home at 90'ish (monitoring time and altitude required), probably bringing my time remaining down to zero..............Or should I use my excess altitude to select another turn-point adding 10 more miles to the total distance and continue to cruise at 80 and be overtime about 13 minutes?

I did the latter and got 73.5 mph (236 miles), but I have a sneaking feeling I should have done the former.

JJ

In this case you are correct, but lets say my accumulated speed was lower but conditions appear to offer a faster leg if I decided to add another turn-point and by flying over the minimum time I would increase my overall speed. Not sure how to make this decision quickly other than a quick guess-t-estimate.
Cheers,
JJ