Old June 18th 13, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

Default Fastest way home?

On Tuesday, 18 June 2013 15:27:15 UTC-4, wrote:
... More often, it hurts less than you think
to come in a little early. As John Good pointed out to me, don't just slow
up your final glide to use up those couple minutes you'll be early. You
actually get more points by flying faster.

Matt

Okay, I'll bite (probably regret it...) How can you get more points by flying faster in this situation? I'll declare up-front that I'm not a racer, so I might be misunderstanding the rules and scoring.

Whether you slow down and hit the finish at exactly the right time (not over), or fly faster and arrive earlier, you're still scored for the same distance and the same time. Definitely, if you slow too much and cross after the minimum, you lose points, so I would think arriving early guarantees you the best score for the distance (but not "more" points, given a finish at minimum time).

Basic equation of distance / (greater of actual time or minimum task time)