Old July 10th 03, 05:43 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , Ryan Ferguson
writes:

Well, I guess I kinda feel that being situationally aware of where
the holding pattern is and from which direction one is approaching
shouldn't tax the brainpower, and once one knows that the correct
P/T/D entry is pretty obvious.

You'll get no disagreement from me! If that works for you, use it. As I've
already mentioned in
this thread, I believe learning the standard entries sans the various memory
aids and finger tricks
tends to lead toward proper visualization of the hold, your position, and how
to enter it with very
little thinking. For those who can't do that easily, the 'just turn
outbound' method is an
alternative which THEY might find simpler.

Lots of training for holds but, in 7 years, I've never had one. Sure, I do
them for practice but have never been given one by ATC. However, if the
training help spacial awareness, it's all for the good.

Chuck