Old May 19th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Tuned exhaust for the Lycoming 0320

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
I'm just having more fun than should be legal and it probably isn't if I
look far enough into the County, State and Federal statues, but I am
never-the-less. I have pretty much followed the Cafe numbers for header
length and the 4-into-one collector. Keeping in mind friendship to my
neighbors, I also included a muffler. I purchased the collector and
muffler from Barnes Stainless and will be purchasing the header tubing,
321SS from the same source in all likelyhood. A/C Spruce has the tubing
listed at $8.75/ft.
I've made up some PVC headers complete with flanges glued on and am
heating the PVC with a heat gun and bending them until I get the pipes
where I want them. The plan then is to take the bent up PVC to a muffler
shop that has a mandrel tube bender and have them bend up the expensive
321 SS tubing. I plan on welding in some of the 3-bolt ball fittings to
both ease the stresses and make installation and removal easier.
My plan is to install the stock exhaust, do a hover and check the MP and
then quickly change exhaust systems and repeat. I'm hoping to see a MP
improvement.
I've had this plan in my "Round Toit" list every since I read the Cafe
study.

Dang I sure do like the experimental category. No bureacrats in the way.

Stu

Well the heating of the PVC wasn't working as well as I hoped so I changed
to using PVC elbows. I modified some 45° elbows by cutting out a wedge fron
the outside of the elbow and reduced the angle to 30°. I had to drill a
couple of holes and use some safety wire to hold the elbow to the 30°. I
also turned the PVC pipe ends in the lathe to make them turn a bit easier in
the elbows. Needless to say it is a projet in progress.

Stu